MECHANISM OF ACTION:
Calcium alginate has high absorption properties, while silver ions have antibacterial properties. When in contact with wound secretions, the calcium alginate fibres transform into a gentle gel which fills the wound bed, while the silver ions are simultaneously released into the wound and act in a bactericidal manner. The resultant gel creates the ideal environment for the healing of the wound: optimal moisture levels that improve granulation and epidermal processes, ensures thermal insulation, and ensures mechanical isolation that protects the wound from external environmental stressors while not interfering with gas exchange. Silver ions fight infection within the wound and prevent external infection.
POLISEPT® VET AL/AG is an absorbent dressing with aseptic properties that can be used for both shallow and deep, penetrating wounds, be it infected or clean.
Wound exudate level: abundant or medium.
1. Rinse the wound with POLISEPT® VET IRRIGATION or POLISEPT® VET SPRAY.
2. Dry the skin around the wound, but lightly moisten the wound bed itself.
3. Adjust the size of the dressing such that it covers the entire surface of the wound. Leave an additional 2 cm margin.
4. Place the POLISEPT® VET AL/AG Dressing directly on the wound. In the case of deep wounds, they can be filled with an appropriately cut amount of dressing.
5. Cover the POLISEPT® VET AL with an additional external dressing (to be secured with either a bandage or plaster).
During the initial treatment period for an infected wound, the POLISEPT® VET AL/AG should be changed daily, after which depending on the degree of severity of the infection, the dressing should be used until wound secretions are minimal or stop altogether.